Originally supplied to the USA as a Super 90 Coupe in 1962, our car moved to Europe in the late 1990’s and following restoration it was registered in the UK in 2011. It is in extremely good structural and mechanical order, and has been discretely updated for fast road use or track days, by the fitting of disc brakes first introduced with the Porsche 356C, and the later upgrade to a third series Porsche 912 engine dating to 1969, and fitted with twin webs. It is a very desirable 356 prepared for PCGB runs or more challenging European events .
The 1948 Porsche 356 employed a platform chassis with rear-mounted air-cooled engine and torsion bar all-independent suspension. 1955 marked the arrival of the 356A, readily distinguishable by its now curved one-piece screen, a wider range of engines and 15'' instead of 16'' wheels. Announced at the 1959 Frankfurt Motor Show, the Porsche 356B T5 enhanced Porsche's reputation as builders of the finest small capacity sports cars, continuing the huge commercial success of its predecessors. Handling, ride and refinement were improved, as well as the addition of a more powerful 90bhp 1600cc engine to the range, a higher nose, more vertical headlamp lenses and raised front winglets - all of which upped the original cars' appeal and firmly established it as by far the best car in its class.
Prior to the launch of the 356C in 1963, the 356B with the T6 body was announced in 1962, with the twin air vents, larger rear window, and the facelift to the front of the car with the wider lower edge to the bonnet.