Founded in Pontiac, Michigan, in 1907, Edward Murphy’s Oakland Motor Car Co. commenced production with a very fragile, twin-cylinder car with planetary transmission, designed by A P Brush. The car was not an instant success and Murphy soon moved into the larger car market, embarking on production of a distinguished line of four-cylinder cars, the Model 40, introduced in 1909, being top of the range. The Oakland Motor Car Co. was absorbed into William Durant’s General Motors conglomerate that year, providing for the company the financial resources it needed to develop its range of cars. The four-cylinder cars were marketed as “The Car with a Conscience” and the radiators carried the distinctive oak leaf and acorn emblem.
By 1912 Oakland were building the Model 30, 40 and 45 and this Model 40 would have sold new that year for $1,450. This car was restored in the 1970’s and was a prize winner in 1975 in America. The engine and chassis were rebuilt in America by one, Walter Heater, and in 1978 the car was presented to the highly respected Crawford Auto Aviation Museum Collection in Cleveland, Ohio, remaining in that collection until 1990. This most imposing and powerful car is superbly presented in grey livery with red coach lining and black wings. Upholstery is in deep-buttoned black leather and the car is equipped with a fully enveloping hood and folding brass windscreen. Magnificent brass accessories include acetylene headlamps and Castle oil side lamps, a double twist vertical bulb horn, varnished wooden wheels and a running board-mounted detachable spare rim with tyre. The four-cylinder engine, cast in pairs, has spark provided by a Bosch duel ignition system and drives through a three-speed gearbox. This imposing motor car sits on 34 x 4 tyres which have been recently replaced, these massive wheels and powerful engine combining to give this distinguished Edwardian an impressive turn of speed for the long distance motor tour. This car has been in a notable European collection for a number of years but has seen little use during that period. The car is duty paid and in free circulation within the European Community