First registered as TSJ 919 in February 1962, our MGA appears to have been registered as DOO 2 at some stage, which is confirmed by copy V5’s from the 1980 / 90’s and pre restoration photos in the history file, during the late 1990’s the registration reverted to TSJ 919. The car was restored in the late 1990’s picture of which are on file, by the early 2000’s mechanical work was entrusted to Beech Hill Garage in Reading, who in 2005 installed a new Stage II engine built supplied by CMES of Bracknell, which was mated to a five speed gearbox supplied by Hi- Gear Engineering Ltd of Derby. Hi-Gear Specialise on five speed boxes for MG’s, in this particular case, the gearbox is based on a five speed Ford Sierra. To finalise the fast road specs, a Moss Supercharger was fitted, as well as electronic ignition. The mileage at the time of the upgrade was 38942 miles.
During the course of 2006 further works was carried out, with accounts being on file, in 2007 the MGA was sold by Sussex Sports Cars to the previous owner in Guernsey, with the mileage being recorded as 42063 in December 2007. The car has been well serviced by the previous owner, all works being confirmed by the receipts within the history file. In turn the MGA has been through our workshops, and recently re-tuned.
When the MGA arrived in 1955, it must have come as quite a shock to MG aficionados who had become used to the now dated pre-war look of the company's sports cars. However, taste and styling were moving ahead in the early 1950’s with desirable and attractive cars being available from BMC’s main competitors at Triumph and Jaguar. The MGA was a complete departure in styling for MG, its beautiful streamlined body was right up to the minute in terms of appearance and it was powered by a new engine as MG had decided that the old XPAG unit had had its day. The MGA was powered by the much more modern B-Series engine that had made its debut in the recently announced Magnette saloon. MG had gone as far as building a full prototype of the MGA by using TD running gear, the 1250cc XPAG engine, a re-designed chassis, and the MGA bodywork. When it eventually became clear that the TF Midget was a bit of a lame duck and that it would have to be replaced, the new MG sports car was finally given the chance it deserved. The delay in production had one advantage in that it allowed MG to refine the design and install the much newer 1,489cc four-cylinder B-Series engine and its transmission from the Magnette saloon. This was later to be replaced in 1961 by the MK II with the 1622cc 95BHP engine capable of 105 MPH.